SWAT SOUTH DEMOLITION HAS BEGUN!
SWAT Fitness South / Crossfit Tucson is under construction! We're knocking out walls, adding in A/C, expanding, growing, and ready to roll for spring! Please pardon the construction, noise, dust, and demo - the end result is gonna be AWESOME.
NEW - SWAT POWER YOGA OPENS IN MAY!
When Ron and Jana discovered Power Yoga, they knew the benefits it could hold for their SWAT Fitness clients. With the new expansion of the South location, we're venturing out into new territory and bringing Tucson a new Power Yoga studio, specializing in heated yoga, yoga for athletes, yoga for beginners, and a really great way to increase your fitness and oxygen intake while reducing stress and injury.
Learn why we love it, what it is, and why you need it!
Eat Clean to be Lean
You want to lose weight, and have been trying hard for months without success.
You've heard fitness people refer to 'eating clean' but what does that really mean?
The labels on hundreds of different food items proclaim to be 'healthy' but can you trust labels? There are so many misconceptions when it comes to what constitutes as clean eating.
What are you eating wrong?
Let's dispel the myths and outline your simple, straightforward 3-step guide to eating clean and watch as the pounds melt off.
Step One: Steer Clear of Packaged Foods
Your worst enemy in the fight against weight gain is packaged foods. Yes, even those packages that are described as ‘healthy'.
Think of packaged food in these 3 categories:
- Sweets: Cookies, brownies, muffins, cupcakes, donuts, candy and desserts. These packaged items are laced with sugar and bad fats, and lack any viable nutrient that your body actually needs. All the empty calories from these items will end up deposited on your waist and hips as stubborn fat.
There's never a good reason to eat these so-called foods.
- Processed Grains: Crackers, breads, cereal, chips, instant oatmeal, energy bars, and popcorn. This category is tricky because many of the packages are labeled as ‘heart healthy' or ‘low fat'. The reality is that packaged, processed grains contain sugar and more carbohydrates than you need while striving to lose weight.
If you have a weight loss goal then stay away from processed grains.
- Whole Grains: Brown rice, wild rice, whole oats, sprouted grain pasta, and sprouted grain bread. Here's a category of packaged foods that you are able to include in your clean diet. You don't, however, have a free pass to eat as much of these items as you'd like. Whole grains, while healthy and acceptable, are very calorie-dense. This means that a little bit goes a long way.
Eat whole grains in moderation in order to meet your weight loss goals.
Step Two: Fill Up on Fresh Foods
Fresh vegetables and fruits are a huge part of your clean diet.
The nutrients and fiber found in these natural food items are vitally important for your weight loss journey and your overall health.
Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables in all shapes, sizes and colors.
The only ones that you need to limit are vegetables that are high in starch, such as potatoes and corn, and fruits that are very high in sugar, like melons.
Step Three: Get Plenty of Protein
The cornerstone of your clean diet should be lean protein.
Great examples are chicken breast, albacore tuna, lean ground turkey, white fish fillet, whole beans, tempeh and egg whites.
Protein is what holds your clean eating plan together, for two reasons.
- Protein satiates your hunger, keeping you full and keeping your blood sugar stable. This eliminates false hunger and prevents unnecessary snacking.
- Protein helps to grow and maintain your muscle mass, which increases your resting metabolism. This means that your body will be naturally leaner.
For faster results, pair your clean eating with a challenging exercise routine.
Call or email today and I'll get you started on an exercise program that will make your goals a reality.
#1 Rule Of Clean Eating: No Refined Sugar
I can't say enough about the dangers of refined sugar.
Regular sugar consumption will always cause weight gain. In addition to ruining your figure, chronic sugar consumption puts you at risk of numerous health problems.
When you're in the habit of taking in sugar everyday it's hard to quit, but once you've broken the habit you won't give sugar a second thought.
Whenever your sweet tooth flares up eat a piece of fresh organic fruit.
Classic Chopped Salad
This salad is filled with tender roasted veggies and crunchy fresh lettuce. These foods are fresh and fiber-filled – exactly the kind of meal that defines clean eating. Add a side of lean protein and a tall glass of water for the perfect meal. Servings: 4
Here's what you need...
- 1 cup asparagus, chopped
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 green zucchini
- 1 yellow zucchini
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- dash of salt and pepper
- 4 cups of romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, chopped
- 2 Tablespoon pine nuts, toasted
For the dressing:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon agave nectar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon champagne mustard
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place the asparagus, carrot, onion and zucchinis in a large bowl, mix well with the olive oil and salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, stirring after the first 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile place the remaining salad ingredients into a large bowl. In a small bowl combine all of the dressing ingredients and whisk with a fork.
- Once the veggies are roasted, mix into the salad bowl and toss with the dressing.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 148.3 calories, 8g fat, 182mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, and 5g protein.
Motivate your friends, family and co-workers! Use the "refer a friend" link below to forward this newsletter and subscribe your friends.
Jana and Ron Holland
NW Tucson, East Tucson, and Tucson Central
(520) 579-6791Visit the SWAT Website
RECOMMENDED RESOURCE of the MONTH
It's no secret - we really like meat!
But if you don't - we ain't mad atcha. Just go on over to Kardena's page and get your:
EASY VEGGIE MEAL PLANS
And you know what we like best about 'em? THEY TASTE EXTRA GOOD with a big chunk of steak or a lean chicken breast! :)
WHO IS SWAT? I AM SWAT... YOU ARE SWAT!
"SWAT's Curvy Woman Workout was where I started in mid-April. Now only just over 6 months later, not only am I a gym junkie now but …here goes… LISTEN!
I have lost 44 lbs, 8″off my waist, 4 ” off my hips 4″ off EACH leg, and 3 1/2″ from my bust…. But it”s not about JUST my body transformation it’s my health. See, I went to SWAT crying and with breast cancer. I was put into Will’s hands and the rest is history.
Today I am a survivor who now has a cholesterol level that went down 50 points! I am no longer diabetic, I am off 4 medications, my BMI went down 11% from my original 37%, I can now wear size 10 when I had gotten up to a size 26, and I have NOT had one single seizure in 5 months! I now have NO risk factors for heart disease.
My gym-husband is Will! I LOVE my trainers and specifically Will at the NW gym. I was so sick when I started I just could not manage a single squat, or a 100 yard run. Now I although I have only one lung I can now with GREAT GREAT encouragement from Will I can make the distance even if I am the last one in I know I still did it. I’m in Komat Kettlebells, and Bootcamp, and although I may be telling Will I hate him while I am getting through one of his INSANE workouts, he knows I really mean I LOVE HIM!!! I know without any doubt whatsoever that if I had not had such a great trainer or a place where I can call my second home with others just trying to get healthy, not so much to get on a scale I never would have made this progress, actually I believe I would still be on my couch or in my bed.
I just can go on and on and on about what SWAT is and what it does and how to do it, but it comes down to this…get off the couch and at least come visit our gym. Come try a class, or be MY guest, I guarantee you will be hooked! And by the way… there is a 100% GUARANTEE or your money back. What other gym does that? I am a real client I DON”T work for SWAT this is not fake it’s real! Don’t believe me? Come to the gym and I will prove it to you. Much love Will! You have in your way saved my life."
"Thank You THANK YOU to all of the Support from my Trainers at SWAT Fitness!
Ron Holland, Jana Beutler Holland, Joel Garcia, David De La Pena…… and all of my Friends at SWAT that are like Family to me.
The drive you all have brought out in me is remarkable and I can’t Thank You Enough. I feel FABULOUS….
I’m 27 Pounds Down with about 25 more to Go. My body and spirit are changing. My Life is Improving and Shifting Forward to Reaching Bigger and Brighter Things!!!
TRANSFORM IN 2012!
Ready for a total commitment to yourself, and to your Total Body Transformation?
Train with us for 3 months. You show up. We do the rest. We'll give you the best guidance, motivation, and instruction to get to your goal, and teach you how to maintain it.
You're just 12 Weeks from a Total Transformation! Sign up now and be in the best shape of your life by.....
July 31, 2012
Just CLICK HERE to experience your own Ultimate Transformation!
GROUP TRAINING DROP-IN PASS
New for 2012 - the 12 session Class Pass! We know you're busy. We know you're looking for a great deal. And for those of you who want to join in on our awesome RKC-led Kettlebell classes, SWAT-Fit Classes (run by Crossfit Certified Instructors) or our well-known Boot Camps, you can now get a "punch card" that allows you to drop in at your convenience. 12 sessions. $12 per session. Must be used in 12 weeks. Happy 2012 from SWAT!
GO HERE to get your 12 session pass now. Good at any location, for any group training sessions offered.