5 Reasons People Gain Weight on Vacation
Vacations are a time to get away from the grind of everyday life – to indulge mind and body in relaxation and enjoyment.
Unfortunately all that indulgence typically leads to a pound gained for each day that you're away.
To help you combat these unwanted pounds, I've identified the 5 main reasons that people gain weight on vacation, as well as your strategic plan of avoidance.
Reason #1: Not Having A Plan
Let's face it, the vacation mindset is a set-up for gaining pounds. Your priority is to relax, and for most that means eating, resting and forgetting the gym.
Your best line of defense is to keep your fitness goals at the forefront of your mind.
Your Plan: Before you leave for your trip sit down and set a goal.
A realistic goal is to maintain your current weight or to lose a pound or two.
The simple act of bringing your fitness goal to mind before leaving on your trip will greatly reduce your chances of coming home heavier.
Reason #2: Indulgent Snacking
There's nothing like a vacation to cause you to throw all caution to the wind with indulgent snacking.
Ice cream in the middle of the day, frozen coffee drinks topped with whipped cream, salty bags of chips and even a visit through a fast food drive thru.
While these snacks may be fun, the damage will quickly catch up to you.
Your Plan: Approach your trip with the strategy of indulging with control.
If you really must have a sweet treat, then make it small and follow it up with a balanced, protein-filled meal.
Another way to reduce indulgent snacking is to bring along your own healthy options.
Dried or fresh fruit, unsalted nuts, health bars, cut veggies and low fat jerky are a good start.
By filling up on these healthy snacks you will end up eating less when presented with a sweet or salty treat.
Reason #3: Forgetting Portion Control
You have no choice but to dine out while on vacation and whether you're visiting 5 star restaurants or fast food diners, you're going to face the same problem: large portions.
While the easiest thing to do with a big plate of food is to simply eat it all—you are on vacation after all...right?—that isn't the best for your waist.
Your Plan: Decide here and now that you will not indulge in large portions.
When you order your meal ask the waiter or waitress to bring you a to-go box. Take half of your meal and place it safely into the box before you even begin to eat.
This gives you no choice but to eat a healthy portion.
If you would rather not carry around a to-go box then ask that your entrée be made into a smaller portion. If it is dinnertime ask for the lunch-sized entrée.
Reason #4: Eating Too Late
Who really wants to go to bed early while on vacation? The days stretch long and undoubtedly end with a nice big dinner.
All these calories, eaten right before bed, will quickly land around your waist.
Your Plan: Simply stop eating 3 hours before you go to bed.
This easy trick is especially effective while on vacation.
So skip that late night indulgence and wake up looking and feeling great.
Reason #5: Not Exercising Enough (Or At All)
Oh, groan, do I really have to exercise while on vacation?
Yes, you do! That is if you want to look and feel younger and more alive.
Too often exercise is looked at as work, but vacations are the perfect time to really enjoy a good workout.
You won't be rushing home, trying to squeeze in a few minutes at the gym, but rather the vacation workout can be a relaxing and enjoyable experience.
Your Plan: Look at vacation workouts as a treat, and make it a priority.
Here are some ideas:
- Virtually every hotel these days has some type of workout room equipped with cardio machines, dumbbells and a universal machine, so make good use out of it.
- Vacations are also a great time to take your workout outdoors; take a run on the beach or do sprints, pushups and crunches on a grassy field. If you want more ideas of workouts you can do using just your body weight then give me a call or send me an email.
- Make a conscious effort to be active everyday. Go on a brisk walk after your day's activities. This is a great way to see a new city, and also a great way to burn off extra calories. Take the stairs instead of elevator in your hotel and any other buildings you visit.
- Go on a short jog in the mornings or evenings of your stay. If your hotel has a pool, swim a few laps each morning or evening.
Enjoy your vacation! And when you get back into town call or email me for a fitness and fat loss consultation and I'll show you a step-by-step plan for getting you the body that you deserve – it's easier than you think.
Cut Your Carbs
Vacation days are notorious for carb-rich meals, and it's a well-known fact that too many carbohydrates will quickly add up to unwanted pounds. Combat this fat-trap by choosing to eat one carb-less meal each day.
- Breakfast: This may be the most effective meal to use the carb-less trick, since breakfast often involves breads, pastries and pancakes. Skip the toast and fill up on egg whites and lean breakfast meats.
- Lunch: A great carb-less lunch is a salad with lean meat. It's so filling and satisfying that you won't even miss the bread.
- Dinner: Since you're on vacation, you don't want to feel deprived, so dinner is the hardest meal to go carb-less. But if you've indulged at breakfast and lunch then make it a point to cut the carbs at dinner. Stick with veggies and lean meats.
Stuffed Southwest Chicken
You know that skinless chicken breast is a great source of lean protein, but grilled chicken night after night gets boring. Here's a new way to dress up your healthy lean protein. The southwest flavors of chiles and lime make this a seriously tasty meal.
Here's what you need...
- 4 oz light cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 (15oz) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 (4oz) can Hatch green chiles, roasted and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 4 organic, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Tajin seasoning (blend of dehydrated lime, ground chile peppers and salt)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl with an electric mixer on low speed, combine the cream cheese, drained tomatoes, corn and chiles.
- Slice through the thick part of each chicken breast so that it opens like a book. Double wrap the chicken with plastic wrap and out it with a meat until it's 1/4 inch thick.
- Season one side of each chicken breast with salt and pepper, then flip it over and spread with 1/4 of the cream cheese filling. Roll each chicken breast up and place it seam side down in a baking dish. Rub a little olive oil over the top of the chicken then season with Tajin and salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake for 35 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Thinly slice and then serve.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 234 calories, 6g fat, 522mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, and 31g protein.
Motivate your friends, family and co-workers! Use the "refer a friend" link below to forward this newsletter and subscribe your friends.
Jana and Ron Holland
NW Tucson, East Tucson, and Tucson Central
(520) 579-6791Visit the SWAT Website
RECOMMENDED RESOURCE of the MONTH
It's no secret - we really like meat!
But if you don't - we ain't mad atcha. Just go on over to Kardena's page and get your:
EASY VEGGIE MEAL PLANS
And you know what we like best about 'em? THEY TASTE EXTRA GOOD with a big chunk of steak or a lean chicken breast! :)
WHO IS SWAT? I AM SWAT... YOU ARE SWAT!
"SWAT's Curvy Woman Workout was where I started in mid-April. Now only just over 6 months later, not only am I a gym junkie now but …here goes… LISTEN!
I have lost 44 lbs, 8″off my waist, 4 ” off my hips 4″ off EACH leg, and 3 1/2″ from my bust…. But it”s not about JUST my body transformation it’s my health. See, I went to SWAT crying and with breast cancer. I was put into Will’s hands and the rest is history.
Today I am a survivor who now has a cholesterol level that went down 50 points! I am no longer diabetic, I am off 4 medications, my BMI went down 11% from my original 37%, I can now wear size 10 when I had gotten up to a size 26, and I have NOT had one single seizure in 5 months! I now have NO risk factors for heart disease.
My gym-husband is Will! I LOVE my trainers and specifically Will at the NW gym. I was so sick when I started I just could not manage a single squat, or a 100 yard run. Now I although I have only one lung I can now with GREAT GREAT encouragement from Will I can make the distance even if I am the last one in I know I still did it. I’m in Komat Kettlebells, and Bootcamp, and although I may be telling Will I hate him while I am getting through one of his INSANE workouts, he knows I really mean I LOVE HIM!!! I know without any doubt whatsoever that if I had not had such a great trainer or a place where I can call my second home with others just trying to get healthy, not so much to get on a scale I never would have made this progress, actually I believe I would still be on my couch or in my bed.
I just can go on and on and on about what SWAT is and what it does and how to do it, but it comes down to this…get off the couch and at least come visit our gym. Come try a class, or be MY guest, I guarantee you will be hooked! And by the way… there is a 100% GUARANTEE or your money back. What other gym does that? I am a real client I DON”T work for SWAT this is not fake it’s real! Don’t believe me? Come to the gym and I will prove it to you. Much love Will! You have in your way saved my life."
"Thank You THANK YOU to all of the Support from my Trainers at SWAT Fitness!
Ron Holland, Jana Beutler Holland, Joel Garcia, David De La Pena…… and all of my Friends at SWAT that are like Family to me.
The drive you all have brought out in me is remarkable and I can’t Thank You Enough. I feel FABULOUS….
I’m 27 Pounds Down with about 25 more to Go. My body and spirit are changing. My Life is Improving and Shifting Forward to Reaching Bigger and Brighter Things!!!
TRANSFORM IN 2012!
Ready for a total commitment to yourself, and to your Total Body Transformation?
Train with us for 3 months. You show up. We do the rest. We'll give you the best guidance, motivation, and instruction to get to your goal, and teach you how to maintain it.
You're just 12 Weeks from a Total Transformation! Sign up now and be in the best shape of your life by.....
July 31, 2012
Just CLICK HERE to experience your own Ultimate Transformation!
GROUP TRAINING DROP-IN PASS
New for 2012 - the 12 session Class Pass! We know you're busy. We know you're looking for a great deal. And for those of you who want to join in on our awesome RKC-led Kettlebell classes, SWAT-Fit Classes (run by Crossfit Certified Instructors) or our well-known Boot Camps, you can now get a "punch card" that allows you to drop in at your convenience. 12 sessions. $12 per session. Must be used in 12 weeks. Happy 2012 from SWAT!
GO HERE to get your 12 session pass now. Good at any location, for any group training sessions offered.